Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My work in progress

The topic that I am choosing is environmental racism in the south Bronx, more specifically Hunts Point. This has been going on for years and I will be talking about one of the main effects asthma. Most of the people affected will be people of color and of low income.

The reason I’m writing about this topic is because on of the reasons people are so irresponsible is because they don’t see it. They don’t see the effects of their daily activities. Even the people in these neighborhoods don’t realize what is causing the high asthma rates. It is unfair that about 10% of NYC’s population cares for 40% of its garbage. The main reason to write about this topic is because most people don’t think about racism in an environmental sense. When I first found out I thought “oh please” not really knowing or caring. I want people to see especially the people that it effects that this is important it does deserve attention. It affects people all over the world but since we are in New York we should start here.

The audience I hope to reach is people in low income neighborhood and/or the people that this affects. They should feel shocked and appalled and want to take action. I also want this to reach people that create the mass garbage and maybe they will take action to change their behavior because I doubt that anyone will want to take on their amount of garbage or will volunteer to do so when it causes such bad health effects.

The sources that I will use are mainly people that I have interviewed that are taking action to change the way we do things, people from young teens to the elderly that are taking action in their community. Also an expert that deals in waste management and I want to get someone from the city that can help explain the reasons or just get the cities point of view. I also want to use interviews from real people in these neighborhoods to see how it affects them and to get a real story from the mock interview.

My working thesis is something like: The high number of waste facilities and transfer trucks in the south Bronx is causing some of the highest rates of asthma in the country, very little park land and contaminated water and it needs to change. Not sure if this is a good thesis or thesis statement but that’s what rough grafts are for. Coolio

6 comments:

Fidel-T said...

Just wanted to respond to your comment. First, the term peasant does not in any way have negative connotation, all it means is people who work the land (agriculture). Moreover, I was not placing the blame of the deforastation in Haiti on the Haitian people, but rather on countries such as the U.S and france which have received tremendous benefits from Haiti. For instance, I will use the U.S invasion of 1915 as well as other embargos that have been placed on Haiti that have hindered the ability of the haitians to survive on anything else other than wood. Thanks for the suggestion of looking at Aristides. I have already and again i find that the U.S largely influenced his coup in 1991. He was demoted bacuase he sought the intrests of the people and not of the aristocracy or the U.S.

Anonymous said...

Your research topic is right on. I am very curious to find out more about it and how it all started. It must be fustrating to suddenly hear that you might be living in an area that can cause you to get sick, especially when you can't really afford to move somewhere else.

Seems like you know exactly what you are doing and where to go for the research information.

Good Luck

Doctor X said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doctor X said...

I have changed your thesis a bit so that it is easier to read and it addresses your audience directly. Where are you planning to name Hunts Point?

I would like to see some hard data/ evidence of the pollution causing the asthma in the South Bronx. I'm sure there is a lot out there on this subject. Please remember to use the format I gave for this paper--it is in BB6 under Assignments.

THESIS: The high number of waste facilities and transfer trucks in the south Bronx is causing some of the highest rates of asthma in the country. This area has very little park land and its water is contaminated. We must take action to change this situation.

Jocelyn Perez said...

I am extremely interested in your research, not only because I personally suffer from asthma, but because my father and his family live in the South Bronx, by Southern Blvd, walking distance from Hunts Point and oddly enough my little sister suffers from the condition as well.

Low income neighborhoods are victims of these injustices all the time, and I like the fact that this project lets students expose them.

Firsthand info is the best kind for me, so interview all you can. And the thesis is good, it sums up ur topic. As u develop ur paper,the thesis may become more clear.
Good luck sweetie =)
Jocelyn =)

Marock said...

I agree with. people don't care somethings which is not their business. I also one of them. I think your motivation is great.